06 September 2006

Day sixteen - Monterey,CA to Gorda,CA

The same automated horn also plays reveille at 7:00AM, which uncoincidentally is when I woke up. It seeed much warmer in the morning than the previous night, and I was able to get going quickly, and out by 8:15.

It was slowgoing throughout the first part of the day, and after just a few small hills I was properly exhausted. I have sort of a warm-up time during which I get reacclimated to the activity, but it could also have to do with the time it takes for my body to absorb breakfast. I'm going to try to eat first thing tomorrow to test theories of mine.

Made it to Carmel by the Sea and did my shopping for the day at a Safeway supermarket that had just opened three days ago. Everything was so sparkling and new, even the employees who all seemed rather "gruntled." There I met a couple from Washington state who were riding a tandem from San Francisco down to Big Sur. It's hard to imagine that I'd ever want to ride tandem with anyone for that long of a time, nor would anyone want to ride tandem with me as I would insist on steering and all the soy protein in the Clif bars tend to make me gassy.

Leaving Carmel I was informed of what my day would be like in the form of a road sign that indicates winding roads with the added note: "next 74 miles." But what a stunning 74 miles they were (though I only saw 60 or so of them today). There were many climbs along sheer cliffs but with a turnout or vista point every 1/4 mile or so, I had plenty to look at and frequent chances to take a quick break and appreciate them.

Throughout the day, I kept running into a family from Quebec--mother, father and their teenaged daughter--who were driving, but stopping frequently while the father would take photos with a very fancy camera. We met at one vista point and talked a bit and he snapped a shot or two of me and told me he'd email them to me when he got back home. Their frequent stops meant that we'd play leapfrog and pass each other over and over again. After quite a few times it was apparent that the other two were beginning to get frustrated with the father's want for more photos in that the next time I saw them, the daughter was driving and the father was in the backseat with the window down and camera in hand soa as not to miss a shot despite the mutiny.

I stopped for lunch at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. I sat and rested for a while when a guy started talking with me about biking and asked where I was headed. As I'm asked this question frequently, I tend to answer on the side of humility with my destination for that particular day instead of saying "L.A." So I tell the guy that I'm going down to Plasket Creek (just outside of Gorda) and he goes on to talk abou how he's done the ride down there dozens of times. He asks about the rest of my trip and then describes how he has biked cross-country twice, and not in the way one would add to a conversation or contribute in solidarity with a fellow biker, but clearly so as to out-do me. Mind you, he was not cycling at the time, but was driving in a rented convertable. Then he asks me how many miles I cover each day and I tell him that I average about 75 miles (which really is on the high end of a comfortable tour, and I would prefer it to be less, but haven't the time.) He then bragged about how he averaged about 90-100 miles a day. To this I almost called him out on being either a bullshitter or an asshole if not both, and refrained from asking him: "So do you have to keep the seat on your bike really high to prevent your enormous dick from getting caught in the chain?" I think he's just one of those people.

After a lovely afternoon of biking, I got into my camp around 5:30 which gave me plenty of time to relax before it got dark. Unfortunately , this campsite didn't have showers so I had to splash cold soapy water on myself to wash up. This combined with the fact that it was well shaded left me feeling pretty cold. Fortunately, it was only a short walk to a nearby beach, so I headed over to the coast where the sun could keep me warm, and I could read until sunset. It was still kind of cool with the ocean breeze, but I found a seat with my back against a rocky cliff which had spent the day absorbing the sun's heat and it felt so good to lean against something so warm. The view of the rocky sea and pelicans, and the sounds and smell of the sea were all quite distracting and kept me from reading; so I just sat there staring and listening until the sun went down behind some low clouds on the horizon.

Walking back to camp, the fog had already formed among the mountains and was glwing a pinkish orange as it was high enough to still be hit by the sun. It was lovely.


For the day:
Rolling time: 5:14:25
Distance: 66.82 miles
Avg speed: 12.75 mph

No comments: