01 September 2006

Day eleven - Cleone, CA to Salt Point State Park, CA

I stayed tucked in as long as I could this morning from such a cold night, but got out of my tent to find a pretty fair morning; and the sun was out despite my being close to the ocean. Things must be looking up.

I got rolling by 9:30 and went into the town of Fort Bragg for breakfast and to hit a bike shop. I saw a Denny's and was very tempted to stop there, but I wanted to get a taste of the local flavour, so I found the "Route 1 Restaurant" which had nothing but organic food and proud slogans slapped everywhere to back it up. I had some organic oatmeal with organically grown and dried raisins, and raw organic sugar. The was also organic. My only complaint about the place was that it was understaffed and it took a long time to get in and out.

Next to the bike shop. A great place (Ft. Bragg Cyclery, aptly enough). I needed a new pedal (pedals really, they're sold in pairs like shoes) as my last set had a plastic element which had given way under the power of my massive calves and amazing thighs. Also, they were cheap and poorly made. I got the new set (similar to the last pair, but with aluminum where the plastic had been on the last pair). They had a little workshop in the back for people to put on new parts and save the labour charge. It's a nice touch. I also finally got my tires up to a decent inflation using their fancy pump. My hand pump is hard to use and is really limitted in its output.

On the way out of town I hit a Safeway (they recognize my Dominic's card--so to them my name was also Aldo Mendoza) for some lunch/supper items and then hit the road for real by noon.

It was a beautiful day weather-wise, and scenery-wise. Sunny with a tailwind, and such great views of the coast. I would like to spend more time in southern Mendocino county when I get the chance, and have more time to enjoy it.

The day was good but long. I rolled into camp at 7:30 and was exhausted, but felt good knowing that I was only a day and half outside of San Francisco. I set up camp, ate, and started writing when I heard some raccoons who were interested in my bike. The campsites in California offer boxes for campers to put to their food, but all I had in my panniers were pre-wrapped powerbars and the like. I shooed them away, but I expect they'll be back. No bears to speak of yet, but as I said, I'm only a day and half outside of San Francisco.


For the day:
Rolling Time: 6:34:27
Distance: 86.70 miles
Avg speed: 13.18 mph

No comments: