23 August 2006

Day Three - Astoria, OR to Barview, OR

What a difference a state line makes. Today was incredible. It finally felt like I was on holiday. It's been tough going, but the views and the people I met have been great.

Got up earlyish to take advantage of the continental breakfast at the Best Western. I had some instant oatmeal with peanut butter in it. I like it, and before you say it's gross, I've seen videos online of Japanese people eating shit omelettes.

Biked 15 miles to Seaside and saw the ocean for the first time on the trip, not just a bay or a sound, as I had heretofore. Just past Seaside, and after a short climb is Cannon Bay with some breathtaking rock formations that loom over the beach from out in the Pacific.

Just past Cannon Beach, I stopped at an overlook at the top of hill and met four cyclists who I could tell were German well before I heard them speak. First the glasses, then the fact that their bikes and gear were almost uniform and very tidy. They said they had watched me coming up the hill and were impressed with how quickly I had taken it, adding that they were old men. I laughed and tried to liken my efforts on the hill to a Blitzkrieg. They smiled a bit but stopped short of laughing.

At the same wayside, I met a couple touring the coast in a rented convertable who, as it turns out, live only 5 blocks from me back in Chicago. Crazy. The gentleman ran off to the car before leaving and presented me with a bottle of beer "for the end of the day." Now that's midwestern hospitality.

Still ahead was the toughest climb I'd had so far, but it didn't phase me, if only for the vistas it offered. It's the part of 101 that runs through Oswald West State Park. It's helpful that there were pulloffs and viewpoints every 1/4 mile or so to give me a chance to catch my breath and enjoy the view.

Grabbed lunch in Nehalem and met a cyclist who recommended some campsites down the coast. I still feel like I'm a newbie at the whole cycling scene and it feels weird to be thrust into the community. Though it doens't take much I suppose; just get yourself a helmet and some gas-ass bike shorts and you're in. Hell, I could be a judge if I had a robe.

I ended up at Barview Jetty County Park (which was supposed to be the end of my 4th day) so I remain officially one day ahead of schedule. It was a short day, but I could use a long rest and I got in early enough to shower, set up camp and enjoy the sunset on the beach. Hot damn. It's nice to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Also, I think I'm going to move to Oregon.

For the Day:
Rolling Time: 4:14:00
Distance: 54:36 miles
Avg Speed: 12.84 mph

2 comments:

Sarah K said...

Sounds like a beautiful day. The Pacific Northwest puts Illinois to shame.

Susan as Herself said...

YAYYYYYYYYYY!! A travelogue-blog!!

I am excited to read your adventures because I have never been to this part of the country.

Ride on, and write on, and RIGHT ON!